News

After Three Failures, Miracle Awaits Nirbhay Test Success on May 31st

After Three Failures, Miracle Awaits Nirbhay Test Success on May 31st
After Three Failures, Miracle Awaits Nirbhay Test Success on May 31st

With three failures and without clearance from the technical committee formed to recommend rectification measures, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is all set to conduct a fresh experimental trial of homegrown subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay on May 31.

After Three Failures, Miracle Awaits Nirbhay Test Success on May 31st
After Three Failures, Miracle Awaits Nirbhay Test Success on May 31st

With three failures and without clearance from the technical committee formed to recommend rectification measures, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is all set to conduct a fresh experimental trial of homegrown subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay on May 31.

However, the move to put the missile into trial with faults in the system has left a section of scientists worried. While navigational and hardware problems still persist in the weapon system, glitches in Nirbhay flight control computer are yet to be rectified.

So far, of the four tests of Nirbhay missile, three have met with failure. Though the missile covered a distance of nearly 1,000 km during its second trial on October 17, 2014, and was claimed as successful by the DRDO, it could not maintain low height as intended.

Sources said an independent technical committee was formed after the failed fourth trial in December last year to identify faults in the missile sub-systems and suggest remedial measures.

Even as the committee refused to give a go-ahead for the test, the top brass of DRDO is adamant on going for fresh trial. They are expecting a miracle to happen but with defects in the system, failure is a foregone conclusion,'' said a defence scientist on condition of anonymity.

During Aero India 2017 in February, Director General of DRDO S Christopher had said the suggestions of the technical committee have been incorporated and the missile is ready for trial.

Sources said Nirbhay cruise missile, which was powered by a turbofan engine earlier, will be tested using a turbojet engine this time.

The first test flight conducted on March 12, 2013, was a failure as the missile fell down only after 20 minutes of flight.

On October 16, 2015, the missile during its third test nose-dived into the sea after covering only 129 km in 11 minutes.

Nirbhay's fourth trial on December 21, 2016, was aborted midway as the missile changed its course due to late deployment of wings.

Before third and fourth trials, 'The Express' had raised doubts on the outcome of the tests as the missile had faults in the flight control and navigation software.

Having a strike range of nearly 1,000 km, the two-stage missile is six metres long. With a diameter of 0. 52 meters and a wing span of 2. 7 metres, Nirbhay weighs around 1,500 kg and can carry a warhead of 200 kg.

Designed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) and launched in 2004, the projected date of completion of Nirbhay was December 31 last. It was, however, extended until June 2018 after a review.

Christopher chose to ignore the queried about the faults in the missile system.

Read more http://theindiansubcontinent.com/defense/item/372850-after-three-failures-miracle-awaits-nirbhay-test-success-on-may-31st

China Says No Information On Indian Jet, Asks New Delhi To Stick To Arrangements

China Says No Information On Indian Jet, Asks New Delhi To Stick To Arrangements
China Says No Information On Indian Jet, Asks New Delhi To Stick To Arrangements

We hope India can stick to the arrangements reached between the two sides and avoid disrupting peace and stability at the border areas," Lu said.

China Says No Information On Indian Jet, Asks New Delhi To Stick To Arrangements
China Says No Information On Indian Jet, Asks New Delhi To Stick To Arrangements

We hope India can stick to the arrangements reached between the two sides and avoid disrupting peace and stability at the border areas," Lu said.

China said today it has no information on the missing Indian Air Force Sukhoi fighter jet with two pilots on board and asked India to stick to the arrangements reached between the two sides to maintain peace.

For the situation you mentioned, I have no relevant information to offer at the moment," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told reporters when asked about the missing Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter jet and whether China would assist India in finding the plane that took off from the Tezpur base in Assam for a routine training sortie nearly 24 hours ago.

The fighter plane has since been untraceable.

We have been following the situation in South Tibet (Arunachal Pradesh) very closely," he said, apparently referring to reports that the jet was flying over the area before it was reported missing.

At the same time, he referred to the border dispute between India and China, saying that "first of all on the eastern section of the India-China border, China's position is consistent and clear.

We hope India can stick to the arrangements reached between the two sides and avoid disrupting peace and stability at the border areas," Lu said.

China's curt reaction came amid a growing discord between the two countries on a host of issues, including the recent visit of the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama to Arunachal Pradesh, which Beijing considers as Southern Tibet.

The India-China border dispute covers the 3,488-km-long Line of Actual Control. While China claims Arunachal Pradesh as Southern Tibet, India asserts that the dispute also covers the 'Aksai Chin' area, which was occupied by China during the 1962 war.

Two days ago another spokesperson of the Chinese foreign ministry said there was "no change" in China's stand on India's membership bid into the Nuclear Supplies Group (NSG). That statement came ahead of the 48-member elite grouping's plenary meeting scheduled next month in Bern, Switzerland.

China has also repeatedly blocked India's efforts to impose a UN ban on Pakistan-based JeM leader Masood Azhar.

Last week, India boycotted China's Belt & Road Forum in Beijing over concerns emanating from a project under the ambitious initiative that runs through Gilgit and Baltistan in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

India opposes the USD 46-billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor and boycotted the event over sovereignty concerns, though 29 heads of state and government attended the BRF.

Read more http://theindiansubcontinent.com/defense/item/372849-china-says-no-information-on-indian-jet-asks-new-delhi-to-stick-to-arrangements

 

 

 

 

 

 

Log in or Sign up